07 October 2008

Oh McCain....you've done it again...

Everyone is McCain crazy in our street. McCain/Palin signs are on everyone's front lawn (which of course do not have the huge English-style leylandii hedges around them). One person has an Obama sign, but they had hid it behind the aspidistra. At Barns & Noble, for the ultimate in propoganda, you can get children's board story books about each candidate - "My Dad John", and "My Dad Barack", if memory serves. I was a bit spaced-out to be honest, having never been in such a massive book-shop, feeling the need to rock forawards and backwards, sobbing quietly "but I can't find a single book.....".

We are now proud owners of cars. I have, in English terms, a massive 4-wheel drive...although I tend to lose it at the supermarket as it is easily dwarved by all the others. I had problems filling-up the other day as the hose kept clicking off. The man came out and explained slowly that the tank was full. "But it's only $35", I stuttered. Bridgjo has a cheese-coloured mini to offset our carbon-footprint. Buying a car meant that we had to take the driving test (written and practical). The examiner drew pictures and explained very carefully what he would be testing us on, and where we might go wrong. I still failed on one thing though; turning left from an unmarked two-lane road to a marked road. Bridgjo failed on two things (I have it in writing that I am the better man), but regardless, we have both passed. Actual licenses take 4-6 weeks to get dispatched. I still feel as if I am breaking the law turning on a red light. Not yet attempted a left-turn on a red light (from one-way to a one-way), as I think that quite frankly, I am going to one day lose all reason and attempt a straight-on on a red-light too.

On Sunday, we went crazy and took advantage of the opening-hours. Even the library was open.

We also braved the kitchens of Mickey's Diner, which was brilliant and cheap. The hash even had brown bits in. After that we went to the kids museum....an easy way to spend a rainy Sunday.

In the meantime, my one big complaint about the US so far is the dearth of decent toilet paper. One-ply surely means you use four-times as much. I did hear that the chap who played Knight Rider insisted his kids could only use two sheets per visit. The love was shared by his daughter, several frustrated years later, by posting a video of him on YouTube attempting to eat a hamburger drunk. Let that be a lesson.

No comments: