13 October 2008

Pride goeth before destruction...

So I was quite chipper getting my Minnesota license - right up to the point I was pulled over for speeding. Yes, I was doing 65. And yes, it was a 50 zone. But, I mean, really. Actually, it was a little bit scarey. Suddenly this Christmas tree came up right behind me about a foot from my back-end. And when I pulled over, and he got out of the car, I could see him in the wing-mirror. I squeaked. I saw him fiddle with his waist-band, and realized Goodness Gracious, he's packin'! So, now, after $148, I am driving very well indeed. Oh - and ways to make yourself look like a complete n*b. He left me saying "Now drive carefully, now y'all" (possibley), and first I put the car in reverse (it is an automatic), and he beeped. And then I drove off with the hand-brake on.

This weekend we went to Linden Hills which gives the impression of being slightly bohemian. First good point is that there is a kids book-shop (Wild Rumpus), which also has animals. In the guid-book I inferred that these were toy ones. Nope, actually you have to move the tabby off the Diana Wynne-Jones, and there is a caged rat under the floor-boards. (And also chinchillas, parakeets, a rather sullen-looking tarantula and some lizards). You mostly can't see the reptiles though, because of aforesaid cats which like to drape themselves over the heat-lamps.

Very handily, just next door, there is Cafe 28. Everything on the menu is under $10 and is the perfect Sunday brekkie/brunch place. Decent coffee too (good yard0stick). I had French toast with caramelized figs and pears, cut slightly with alcohol just to smooth out the sugar (although I was also offered extra maple syrup). Most of it was devoured by a 5 year-old. You can pay for extra sides too, but really it was quite sophisticated and plentiful for the price.

No comments: