28 September 2008

I just want a plain cup of coffee.....

T adores school, and we had our first parent night last week (and they also provide day-care and pizza for it!), and we think it is a Good thing. She especially adores the English day on Wednesdays, of course, but they will be teaching her to read and write in English (well, American). The lunches here are also a battle, but she accpets that she will starve otherwise (which she frequently does, but I hope that by the time she is 18, she will bend to my will (I wish)). Her timetable is much different - only one playtime for 30 mins just before lunch, and then just lessons. Saying that, I suppose they have "organized play" in the form of PE each afternoon. She comes home knackered.

The teachers are all around the 30 mark, and all very enthusiatic, and, quite frankly, youthful, so very animated, and non-shouty. The teacher is getting her to speak whole sentences when she asks for things, but I saw her skipping in class the other day (her, not the teacher. Not quite that young), which is a good sign, possibley.

JB wants us to be a Host Family for some of the stagiaires. As they are all French, female and 20, I have said "Mmmmm, not sure about that". (unless of course it is someone called Pierre).I have a started a gym. It's close by with a great pool. It will off-set all the junk-food. Alas there is lots. Rubbish coffee too, unfortunately. I will have to get a Nespresso (although you have to get the coffee via mail-order).

I am organizing wood to be delivered, and also someone to clean the drive-way from snow next week. It hasn't started snowing yet, but I reckon it will be soon. The house is toasty though. Apparently, the bloke who does your lawn in the summer, does your drive in the winter.

I have found somewhere which sells Boots face-cream and Birds Custard. In the same aisle (not really).

I will be going to TJMexx next week (TJ, not TK, note) for a winter coat.

I am having very strange experiences here where I speak to a shop assistant, and then realise they didn't understand a single word I have said. It has happened here several times now - YET NEVER OCCURRED IN GENEVA! Damn t' Northern accent. However, it is probably my own fault, as I am linguistically, slowly turning into Mary Poppins, or on a bad day, Dick Van Dyke, using lots of phrases like "Heavens above!", "That coat looks awfully jolly, do you have it in my size?" etc.

No comments: