14 April 2009

Go back to Canada!

I have been reviewing swimming in the lakes here, as I noticed in Switzerland there were lots of rats around (well, I guess "lots" as I actually saw two), and am a bit wary of disease. Plus the lakes here do seem to be full of boats during the summer, i.e. lots of oil and sewerage.

But, it seems that Minnesota takes this as least as seriously as I do, with slightly less righteous anger against vermin. Their aims are to:

  • Fence swimming beaches to exclude geese
  • Relocate adults and young out of state during the molting season
  • Prohibit feeding of geese on swimming beaches
  • Herding geese off of beaches with trained border collies
  • Pick goose dropping off of beaches daily

Geese - slightly more endearing than rats, plus the added entertainment value of border collies.

I was speaking to a chap in the hot-tub today (very "Housewives") who told me that the best place for out-door swimming can be found in the lakes on the border with Canada. Obviously the geese must be trying to keep away from there...

No comments: