15 January 2009

Parky

This morning, just north of here,it was minus 60 degrees fahrenheit (with wind chill). This means, it was approximately ONE HUNDRED degrees warmer in my fridge. I phoned Australia on Monday, but got no response. I called again on Tuesday - "Oh yeah, we didn't come in. It was a recovery day as it's been so hot".

Ah the similarities between Perth and MN. Once has snake-bite, and the other frost-bite. One has tanned, buffed surfer dudes (apparently), and the other, well you have no idea until you get 'em home and unwrap 'em.

In fact, here the weather has to be a measured minus 50 degrees before the authorities close the schools. So kids can be waiting at bus-stops in weather which would make a polar bear wince and say "a bit parky for me, I'm afraid".

Both T and I have had our first ice-skating lessons. T says she's OK for lessons now,as she can skate. This is almost true as she is going forwards, bending over, and turning. Conversely, I can waddle like a duck, knees bent, bum out. I am a diva. T wants to be able to do tricks. I will settle for knowing how to stop.

Tonight's tea is terriyaki pork. We are giving turkey a rest for a few days.

No comments: