05 March 2009

All the fun of the fair

So I managed to survive 6 days at Disney.

Bit of a hiccup on the way when we missed our connection (I was told off by bridgjo for recreating a scene out of that RyanAir reality TV program....but I felt compelled to as the plane was still at the Gate). No matter, on the way back we managed to get an earlier direct-flight, which just goes to show something.

It meant we got in a little later than we expected, so couldn’t go and see the fireworks that evening. Instead, we had an early tea (I asked for “mange-tout” and the chef said “Oh, you speak French”), and were in bed by 8. Up bright and early to get to the Magic Kingdom at 8am. Beforehand, bridgjo called reception at 6a.m. for some question, and, as a good-bye, an extremely tired/disinterested voice yawned “And you have a magical day now…”.

We were at the All-Stars Music. Pretty basic, but there were two pools, and the food was OK-ish. A mad scramble each morning for breakfast, and a limited choice for tea, but there you go. I was very English and made sandwiches each day for lunch.

T’s face was a picture when she saw Cinderella’s Castle for the first time. I really think it was, indeed, all quite magical for her. Yes, Disney is over-priced (though not much evidence of economic crises there), yes, it is tacky…..but I’m beginning to understand that that is precisely the idea.

Naturally, the first task was to send the fastest person in the group (bridgjo) to get the FastPasses we needed, and for T to go and wake-up Tinkerbell. She took it very seriously, shaking a little bell and saying “Tinkerbell, come out! Where are you?” (and lo, there she appeared at the back of the shop – quite clever, really.

We didn’t buy into getting everyone’s autographs, as the queues were way to big – instead I stumbled on another wheeze. Almost every Cast Member had a roll of stickers, so T spent quite a happy time collecting as many different ones as possible.

T was up for all the scary rides and adored The Haunted House as much as the Adventures of Pooh. Pirate is still a favourite, and Lilo and Stich seems to have been recycled from another film (I think maybe Gremlins?). There were some ingenious “interactive” shows with Monsters Inc and the Turtle out of Nemo. Really quite clever.

We did a park on each day, with Epcot second on the list. I love its naivety, and, bridgjo tells me with Internet authority, it was Walt’s favourite park. It probably has changed very little since the 1950s, apart from the technology of the rides, and quality of the food.

I like Hollywood Studios (MGM). I think the back-lots are great, and the Muppet show is still going strong. We all went on the Tower of Terror, and T’s post-card home rea “I went on the Tower of Terror. I held Mummy’s and Daddy’s hands so tightly I left nail-marks”. Yet she was giggling when she came off, and immediately wanted to go on again. It seemed to be much longer and scary than we remember, but it is good.

The Animal Kingdom was lovely, as it reminded me at least of South Perth Zoo (but more screaming). The Dinosaur ride must be one of the best ghost-type trains there. T loved it of course, with all these dinosaurs leaping out at you. The children behind us, however, were hysterical. A bit mean, I thought, especially when their mother smiled wryly at us and said “They were like this last time too”. There was a nice pseudo-safari ride there (T thought the hippos were hilarious), though the water ride was too short. Here we got a good bit of customer service when T lost this tiny light-up Tinkerbell clip (actually free with a drink at one of the restaurants). When I asked at Customer Services, not only did they commiserate with her, but told her to go to the shop and pick out a Tinkerbell toy. How sweet is that?

The weather was great. Actually, it had no choice. I was determined to feel air on my arms, and actually ended up getting a very slight tan (already fading, alas). I do find the number of people a trifle overwhelming. It was packed every day, and you really needed to book a restaurant for lunch and dinner if you wanted to get in anywhere.

No comments: